Dominique Fraser, President & Founder of TeamFund
1. What does TeamFund do?
TeamFund is an online local food fundraising platform that enables schools and teams to raise funds for their cause.
2. What inspired you to start this? What problem are you solving?
Four years ago I started fundraising for my daughter's soccer team and found the process to be unorganized, overwhelming, and painful all around. I watched so many other parents around me, who were raising money for their children’s sports teams and school activity groups, go through the exact same challenges. I knew there had to be a better way.
I quit my full-time job and set out to reinvent online fundraising so that it was more efficient (and enjoyable)!
3. How long did it take you to go from prototype to launch?
It took us two months to go from prototype to launch.
4. How did you determine who your audience might be for this product?
I knew my target audience because I was part of it: parents raising funds for their kids’ sports teams and school activities. Having gone through it many times, I had an intimate understanding of all of the moving pieces, and all of the pain points that came with those moving pieces.
5. What are your greatest achievements so far?
We are so proud to have helped raise over $350K for kids sports and schools in Calgary. This means hundreds of kids have been able to take part in extracurricular activities because of the TeamFund platform.
6. What are your future goals?
Our goal is to become the leading technology platform for youth sport fundraising.
7. How has Startup Calgary helped you so far?
Connections, people, events and invaluable information.
8. How can companies make the most of their experience with Startup Calgary and Launch Party?
Get out and meet people. Understand what problems they are solving and most importantly, how they are solving them.
9. What advice do you have for aspiring entrepreneurs who want to take their idea from the back of a napkin to the marketplace?
Get a paying customer as soon as possible!
10. Who do you look up to in the Calgary startup community? Which companies are doing cool things?
Many of the advisors and mentors who have volunteered their time to help people like me launch! A lot of the females in the space as well.
11. If you could do one thing differently while building your startup, what would you have done?
I would have given myself more credit and not been so scared - I knew more than I thought I did.
Learn more at https://www.teamfund.ca/
Published January 5, 2018