Hosted by EvolveU
Gain an understanding of the capabilities and applications for AI-powered products.
You don’t need to be a computer scientist to understand the recent progress in artificial intelligence research and the opportunity it presents to change the way we do our jobs. At this workshop, meant for the common person, you will gain an understanding of the capabilities and applications for AI-powered products, so that you can have intelligent and productive discussions when collaborating with technologists. Learn how to spot an opportunity to benefit from AI in your workplace, and become an advocate for embracing (and benefitting from) the future that is sure to come.
- Understand common terms and jargon like “Deep Learning” and “AlphaZero”.
- Discriminate Artificial General Intelligence (AGI) from “AI” and separate hype from fact.
- Define characteristics of prediction & classification tasks that have been solved by AI.
- Explain to a 5-year-old how AI is able to approximate functions to perform these tasks.
- Understand the shortcomings of current AI, and how it is susceptible to adversarial attacks, or can perpetuate harmful stereotypes through biased training data.
- Develop a basic understanding of the different types of methods and algorithms used (supervised vs. unsupervised learning, reinforcement learning, statistical models).
- Understand important jobs of the future like “reward function engineering”.
- Be able to collect useful data that could be used to train your own neural network.
- Leave with a list of resources so you can stay up-to-date on this exciting field yourself.
Drew Gillson is the organizer of the Calgary Artificial Intelligence Meetup. Discussion topics at the monthly meetups range from the ethics of the development of artificial intelligence and its implications for society, to detailed technical explorations of algorithms and methods, to showcasing local startups and the problems they are solving. Drew is a capable full-stack developer, an effective technical manager, and a kind, caring leader. He has an original, expert perspective refined by 15 years of experience in a variety of senior technology roles.